Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Techie Tuesday - The Glycemic Index

I started to write about the Glycemic Index. What is the Glycemic Index? For endurance athletes, it's the most important nutritional tool since fertile soil. The more I thought about it though, the more obvious it became that it needed to be put in a broader context, and that meant a more expansive post.

Bottom line is, I ran out of time, so you'll have to wait until next Tuesday for me to finish this post. I hope you'll find it worth the wait, as it will cover a great deal of what I've learned about nutrition, hydration and electrolyte management in the last 3 years.

In the meantime, here's an image of my all-time favorite pre-ride fuel, and as soon as I can find a good way to carry it with me, my favorite ride fuel as well. At $2 a pound, it's not cheap, but still vastly cheaper than maltodextrin-based ride fuels, and at least as effective at launching you through your rides.

Like all sushi rice, cut in 3 tablespoons of sugar to taste when fluffing. Gives the rice a beautiful glossy sheen, and makes it even higher on the GI. Grown right here in the Sacramento Valley.

No comments: