Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Back in the Saddle Again

"Life" and very challenging weather has kept me off the bike for a bit over 2 months, but I had a nice ride on Sunday, and as expected, am feeling it today. I had a little back pain while out riding, but to my surprise, it's my calves that are killing me. Long-time readers may remember I tore my right calf badly in 2010, so in order to prevent re-injuring it, I'm taking another day off today. 

I'm a little surprised because I have a dog now, and she's a working dog, so requires a lot of exercise, so it's not like I've been sedentary, but as I discovered when I tried to substitute walking for riding before, riding is just much more demanding, especially if you're riding 50-70 mile rides.

For my comeback ride, I did a little over 20 miles on pretty flat terrain and stayed nearby so if $hit happened I could get home without too much trouble. The only way to do it is to "Just Do It". Nike had that dead right. 

After moving, and only partially unpacking, it took a long time to get out the door because so much of my routine was baked into putting things in "their" place, allowing me plenty of short-cuts to get out the door quickly. I assume the next ride will go a lot smoother. The weather though was finally accommodating, with the wind remaining fairly calm until noon and the pollen, at least whatever it is that has been bothering me, took the day off. 

I'm smiling through the pain because it's still thrilling to be propelling yourself through time & space under your own power, especially while drawing social security checks! Also, I really do love the Pinarello!

Cheers!


No comments: