Monday, December 7, 2020

Garmin Edge 520 Plus displaying Double Cadence

About 3 weeks ago, for no reason I can discern, my Garmin Edge 520 Plus (an amazing device BTW, and what a bargain!) started intermittently doubling my cadence while riding. Last week I was looking at  my cadence on RWGPS and noticed it was being shown correctly, which seemed really odd until I remembered that what gets written to the .TCX file is recorded only once per second (you can use their Smart setting as well, but I prefer 1-Second mode), AND, each one of those records has a time-stamp on it. 

I immediately suspected that a 2nd "Ghost" signal was corrupting the real-time display, but was being discarded as a duplicate or not being written to file stored in on-board storage, which gets uploaded to Garmin's site at the end of my rides. Since my RoadID has a small stainless plate on it, and it gets wrapped around my leg just above the ankle, I suspected it first. 

 

This is too low IMHO as it would get covered by my waterbottle

Googling around I also noticed ads on Garmin's site for the new Cadence Sensor II (ANT+ and BlueTooth telemetry support) showed it mounted low on the crank-arm, not at the peddle end, as I had always mounted mine, so I moved my sensor down to the middle of the crank arm, moved my RoadID to my right foot, and went for a ride. (there's also some torque specs, a QR code, and assorted lettering on the pedal end of my alloy Ultegra pedal, all of which could cause ghosting)

Mount it wherever it works best, but the bottle cage, attachment hardware, water, and reflective bottle insulation will all interfere if mounted as shown in the Garmin ads. (you can't mount it on the drive-side crank-arm bc it will hit the derailleur)

Not sure which of these measures, or perhaps both in conjunction, fixed the problem, but it appears to be fixed. If anyone else is having this problem I hope this helps. 

PS: In spite of these measures the problem briefly reappeared. I've noticed that the problem seems to occur when my Scoche HR monitor's battery gets low, so I ordered a new 24hr one of those and we'll see what happens. I hope the stuff Garmin sells the US military is better than the absolute crap they sell us. SMH

No comments: