Thursday, September 24, 2020

Smoke, Heat, Wind, Cold, Dark - when to ride?

 I've been riding seriously now as an adult since 2007, and this is the most challenging environment I've ever faced. Throw in having a new puppy (abandoned nearby, probably due to the animal shelters being closed and the owner being evicted due to COVID-19), and trying to find sleep and a schedule to ride has been all but impossible. (the puppy is wonderful though and we're so happy to have her).

The change of seasons is always a challenge this time of year here in the high desert of SoCal, but I put in so many more miles this year over the summer my body is on an early schedule now, but it's too cold and dark now to ride before sun-up, and probably for an hour after, at least without a vest or leg warmers. On the long rides I've been doing there just isn't room for all that stuff AND all the nutrition too in my jersey. With the Pinarello aero headset/stem there isn't a way to fit a Bento Bag either.

 

 

Trouble is, the only time the air is breathable here is before the dew evaporates, and those are cold & dark conditions for a 3-4hr ride. Almost all the smoke from the Bobcat Fire is blowing in our direction, so you have to pick your days and be prepared to pull the plug early on a ride, which I've had to do once already. 

California, and the entire West Coast of the US and Canada for that matter, is having the worst fire year since 1910! There's ash falling out of the sky all day long here, and family in NoCal reports the smoke is so bad in San Francisco it's been having the worst air quality of any city on Earth! SF skies this time of year are usually pristine. 

Yes, I am making excuses, so although I hope to make my 100 miles this week, riding has become quite difficult at the moment. I'm taking the liberty to complain a bit here because there are thousands of other cyclists in California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado and Arizona who are in similar circumstances and I just wanted to add my voice to one in your heads going "OMFG, what now?".

Just know, it's OK. We'll get through this, even if our mileage suffers a bit. 

Cheers!

No comments: