Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Indian Summer

The weather was really nice here last week, in the 60s and even low 70s (down here in the valley anyway) so I sucked it up and put in some ride time, logging over 120 miles in a week, not my best week by far, but my best week since moving down to SoCal in 2015, so a lot of time looking at this view.

Apple Valley Airport. A favorite hydration stop

I was stopped for a short break, against a sun-drenched wall out of the cool breeze when this guy happened by on a trike. I saw him 6-7 blocks away, and was surprised at how visible he was, both front & back. Love the little bits of serendipity when out riding. We waved and shouted a greeting and he was gone.


 My, how time flies! I can't believe I've been here (almost) 5 yrs already! Apple Valley, Victorville & even Hesperia have come a long way in making this area more cyclist-friendly. The big, signature piece in that was putting in 3 nice river-front segments called the Mojave River Walk (there is a 4th in North Victorville, but it isn't connected) They've also put in a short segment of bike trail up to the VVC campus, but it's pretty steep.

Victorville has also installed small repair stations (they were badly vandalized in Sacramento, so watching this with interest here) and near VVC, a small park & picnic ground with drinking fountains - two of them. This one right along the river walk Surprising how often this critical piece of infrastructure is overlooked, especially here in the high DESERT, so check this fountain out!

Elkay drinking fountain with bottle-filler

I've never seen a bottle-filler in a drinking fountain, and am glad it's in full sun, which is what sterilizes ALL public drinking fountains, because the nozzle is shaded by the top of the fountain, but the bottle medallion is reflective, and the water was clean, city water. There's also a doggie fountain about 6" off the ground, which we also appreciate. It's hot and dry here, so simply taking a drink is not enough to keep you hydrated, you need to carry water on you, so this makes perfect sense. Sacramento, are you listening?

The newest of the 3 segments of the Mojave River Walk skirts the Mojave River Narrows, where the Mojave meanders through a low, flat swampy area and comes up through springs to make nice, little lakes like this one. 

Mojave Narrows Park

I've also been working on my nutrition a bit, and am happy to report that the Elderberry gummies are as effective an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory as the USDA claimed they were (they stopped publishing anti-oxidant values because it was abused for commercial purposes, but I have a screen print of the table somewhere). Much more effective than ibuprofen, heart-friendly, gut friendly and a big boost to your immune system.



My bike is creaking again. It's the headset. The crown race I'm pretty sure. I bought a new one, but haven't installed it yet. I think the Cane Creek 110, guaranteed for 110 yrs, is defective in that the crown race isn't rigid enough, but I will need to inspect it carefully when I tear it down. The blue paint is worn off on 1 side for about 60 degrees around. I assume that is the side facing the down-tube, but I won't be sure until I get it apart.

Very cold last night, down to 17 degrees here in the valley, and only in the 40s today, with 70s the next 3 days, so debating staying home and fixing the creak.

I haven't ordered it, but I'm going to add another IRBM mirror to the right handlebar end. Too many times I'm at an intersection unclipped and can't see behind me, which is bad now that there's a lot of construction going on and cars are having to squeeze by. Tic, toc.

Ciao!

No comments: