Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Broken Collar Bone

I was bumped by a malicious pedestrian taking a line through a turn on the ARPT on the 27th of December. He appeared to be with his wife and daughter, and she said he turned to say something to me as I passed, but then was quickly shuuushed by him.

My line would have missed him by 4-6" - about all the room I could give him as there are blind turns in that section of the ARPT with sharp, hilly turns and my wheel was on the center line already, so about a foot of me was already hanging over the line. My guess is he hit me with about 6-8" of contact, so he must have taken a very deliberate step into me at the last moment, as I was thinking I was past him at the time we connected.
.

I am exasperated that this behavior goes on all the time on the ARPT, and nothing ever seems to be done about it. The guy clearly didn't bother to read the rules of the road online, or the same rules stenciled on the trail in large, white, block lettering. I am considering criminal assault charges against the guy, so law enforcement can get the required phone records.

After all the balance sports I've done, skiing, snowboarding, wakeboarding, skateboarding, aerobatic flight, there is no way in hell I miss a line by a foot - especially at 12.6 mph. I don't know what was on his mind - maybe he was divorcing his wife - but he was making little or no effort to move towards the shoulder as I approached, which is why I kept coasting, letting my speed decline. Unfortunately, the alternative in those blind turns is getting hit by a biker head-on, so you really can't cheat the lane anywhere in that stretch. Very frustrating.

By law peds are required to be off the pavement and on the shoulder, walking single-file, facing traffic. He failed on all 3 counts. He helped me back to a nearby street, and called my friend's cell number from my RoadID band, but as it turns out, my friend's cell doesn't keep track of incoming phone numbers! :-O  I didn't even know such phones existed.

As it turns out I should have asked for the guy's (John was his name) contact info, but since he was the only one around to help, I was reluctant to piss him off. From now on I will carry a Sharpie and just write contact info on my arm or clothing. Lesson learned.

Since this is my only way of contacting the guy, I am now trying to get the info out of my friend's carrier. Needless to say I am super pissed that my friend didn't mention this to me when I asked him if I could use that number before ordering my RoadID. Worse, his truck was in the shop, so after waiting for 2 hours, I ended up taking a taxi home. Thank God I had a couple of Advil in my 1st Aid kit.
.


.

I fell sideways onto the end of my handlebars, as you can see from the photo. Fortunately, it was my left side, and there was almost no road rash. The blunt force trauma to my ribs from falling onto the handlebars was more painful than the broken collar bone, especially where the ribs attach to the spine, but seems to be healing pretty well. My breathing is somewhat restricted, but otherwise healing nicely. Xrays are from a local clinic my friend drove me to in my car. Good service, and $212. Good decision there.

This picture is as of about day 10. The bruise under my armpit didn't appear until ~ day 6, as it was a very deep bruise. I was actually relieved when it appeared, as it finally explained why I was having so much rib pain.
.
.

I went to an orthopedic surgeon yesterday, after 2 weeks, and the break looks exactly the same, but he told me to come back in a month and expects it will heal on its own. I just looked at some YouTube videos of the surgery, and wow, I would like to avoid that!

So, this is the reason for me being MIA the last few weeks. An expensive and tough break I would have liked to avoid.

1 comment:

Gotta Run..... said...

I could go on and on about a few high lighted points.....BUT .... the most important thing is that you are good and healing nicely.

Seriously, this has to be the year for you! I just know it!

I am sending you much needed sunshine!