Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Lazy Rainy Days

Whoever said it never rains in California has never spent the month of December in the San Joaquin Valley. Whole days go by with not a ray of sunshine to be found. This kind of weather brings out the big LAZY in me.

Having said that, I was looking for the proper name of a gym exercise the other night in Arnold Schwarzenegger's excellent Encyclopedia Of Modern Bodybuilding and spent an hour looking at my notes in the margin, and bookmarks left inside. I bought the book about 20 yrs ago, and would like to get it autographed, but looking through it I was amazed at how huge Arnold was. It really got me missing my gym workouts, and the mentally quiet, Zen workouts I used to do. I'm hungry for that again, so time to find a good gym and bash some iron!


This was me at 21, before spending 20 yrs in the gym. Wish I looked like this now. No issues with climbing mountains at 145 lbs. I'd be very happy to just drop 15 lbs and get some of this muscle definition showing at this point. Trying to schedule rides around the weather is tedious, so a great time to gym it up!

Good news on the Mavic wheel. I took the wheel to a LBS - one recommended by a bunch of friends - to see if it was even safe to ride. They took one look at the wheel and offered to call Mavic and try to get them to pay to have the wheel rebuilt - AGAIN. (They will be offering a wheel-building class in Jan I want to take)

I just got off the phone with Eddy an hour ago, and based on some pics he sent to Mavic, and some micrometer measurements they asked for, they agreed to have the wheel rebuilt. I don't want to say too much and jinx it, but I am cautiously euphoric. :D  Eddy also agreed to rebuild the wheel using 14/15 butted spokes on the drive side, and 14/17 on the other side, so with a little luck, in a week I will have my dream wheel - finally, at long last! >B
.

1 comment:

Gotta Run..... said...

Persistence and knowledge paid off big time for you. That is a victory!

Going to email you serperate about the gym option. Goals can be met at ANY AGE (it just takes more work as we age).