I often get home with extra Gatorade, mixed from my concentrate bottle and my last hydration stop/s. It usually ends up going to waste. After pouring still another 30oz or so down the drain last month I occurred to me that Gatorade has everything needed for a great post-ride recovery "meal"
- It's already made, so can be consumed immediately
- It's sugars are fast carbs, high on the glycemic index
- It has lots of fluids to remedy dehydration ASAP
- It has lots of electrolytes to replenish some of what is lost
- It's free, since I'm just going to end up pouring it down the drain anyway
- It's great to wash down some Advil with, and prompts me to do so (I tend to forget)
- It gets me going in the liquid direction, with follow-on fruit juices and milk